Downloading Futuramo SVG sprites
To download an icon SVG sprite, proceed just like with downloading a webfont pack, but choosing “SVG sprite” in the download dialog instead. You don’t need to name the sprite (technically, it is just a collection of icons, as opposed to a font-face), but you can name the archive that you download for your convenience.
The .zip archive that you download contains a demonstration of SVG sprite usage.
Each icon is subscribed with the automatically generated xhref reference that is used within the <use> tag.
Example of use
Here you can see the code:
…and the visual result:
Why use SVG sprites for icons?
- Good browser support (all modern browsers, legacy browsers up to IE 8)
- Good support of css styling
- Inlined in the document – no need for separate requests
- Straightforward referencing and positioning, quick and reliable rendering in most browsers
- Good semantics – an <svg> tag already depicts an image resource